Wednesday, February 25, 2015

SEED OBSESSION

I admit it. I am obsessed with seeds. It's been going on for decades. I love to gather seeds, sort seeds, trade seeds, eat seeds, share seeds, buy seeds, photograph seeds, decorate with seeds, save seeds and yes... grow seeds.
A small sample of my seed stash



Apparently, the seed catalog people are well aware of my obsession.




Ordinarily, catalogs are not a welcome sight in our mailbox. Seed catalogs are the exception. For me, they are awesome and inspiring. By February of each year, I have a pretty good idea of what I want to grow in our gardens: new plants, new varieties and the old stand-bys. I haul out my two air tight plastic tubs from their cool, dark storage place. Careful storage can extend the life of many seeds. One tub is filled with vegetable seeds, the other with flower seeds all filed alphabetically in folders. Well, pretty much.






After checking my stash of seeds to see what needs replacing, I order and purchase seed packets from catalogs and local merchants. Sitka has conscientious merchants!    
NON-GMO and ORGANIC:
 







Here is one of the big questions, "WHEN SHOULD I START THE MANY DIFFERENT KINDS OF SEEDS I WANT TO GROW?"  After all these years of gardening in Sitka, this is a FAQ even by me. Our climate is pretty much incomparable. Sitka is part of a maritime northwest temperate rainforest. Our growing season and weather conditions are inconsistent from year to year... with more rain than most people can imagine! Another important consideration, of course, is how much time your schedule allows.  So, I put together a SEED STARTING TIMELINE to be utilized with great flexibility. Seeds can and should be started sooner or later than the suggested times depending on the conditions presented in any given year. I know. That answer sounds vague and ridiculous.
Now that I am getting old and forgetful, the SEED STARTING TIMELINE serves me well as a checklist, too.






















2 comments:

  1. Nice post! It is those garden catalogs that INSPIRE us, making promises of everything amazing that is to come in the following months. I especially like your idea for storing seeds vertically in folders. I imagine it really helps keep them organized and separated. I also didn't realize that Burpee seeds were still non-GMO. Good to know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennifer. Looks like there is a good selection of seed brands available in several Sitka shops this year. Happy gardening!

      Delete